With the Kleinrivier running through it,mountain views, and just 30minutes from the sea-side town of Hermanus,Stanford is ideally positioned for couples and families looking for a laid-back getaway in a quaint and historic village that remains true to its entrepreneurial roots – pop into one of the antique stores, restaurants, vineyards or coffee shops. For the adventurous – horse riding, boat cruises, hikes, bird watching and Great White Shark Cage diving are all within a 20km radius of the village. Whether you want to shop, see, sip or sleep, #ThinkStanford.
- Stanford was awarded ‘Best Village Destination’ in 2012.
- Stanford celebrated its 150th year of existence in 2007.
- The heart of Stanford surrounding the market square was proclaimed a South African Heritage area in 1995.
- Stanford’s sole water supply is obtained from a spring. This water is pumped into a reservoir and distributed through the village.
- The Klein River Lagoon, also referred to as ‘Kleinriversvlei’, is about 10 kilometres long and just over 2 kilometres wide at its widest point.
- Stanford has a cheese named after it! Inspired during a study tour in France Klein River’s cheese maker developed this magnificent hard cheese and named it after our village. It is manufactured from fresh milk supplied by 3 local dairy farmers.
- Almost 200 bird species can be found in and around Stanford. Of the 68 ENDEMIC bird species in South Africa, 30 occur within close proximity of Stanford.